People often look utterly shocked when I tell them that I no longer take medicines such as Midol, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, etc. to alleviate pain/headaches. They look even more confused when I tell them that instead, I use wonderful bottles of liquid that we call Essential Oils. That’s right! I probably haven’t taken pain medication in almost a year.
I’ve been trying to take a more natural approach to life in baby steps, so I stopped taking medications. Then, I started using Aromatherapy (which we will get to in a minute) and my next step is to start replacing all the cleaners in my life with 100% All-Natural homemade cleaners.
So what are essential oils and what’s all the hype about it? You’re probably reading this because you typed that question into a search engine. Lucky for you, I have the answer!
****This post may contain affiliate links that will come at no EXTRA cost to you, in fact, it may even save you some money! These links help me keep this website running AND ad-free.****
A Little Bit of History
Essential Oils date back to around 3000 B.C. The Egyptians would use aromatic plants for medicinal and cosmetic uses, as well as for embalming the dead. Hippocrates, known today as the father of medicine, cites a number of medicinal plants in his writing. Throughout each century, essential oils became more and more popular for all kinds of uses. Now here we are in the 21st century with tons of knowledge of all of these properties.
What Is Simply Earth?
Simply Earth is an essential oil company with a mission to help end sex trafficking while creating more natural homes. The average age of an individual forced into human trafficking is 13. That’s why when you shop Simply Earth, 13% of their profits go to one of these companies every single month:
- Destiny Rescue
- My Refuge House
- 5 Stones
- Freedom Cry
- Children of The Night
- Shared Hope International
- Anti-Slavery International
- International Justice Mission
- Faith Alliance Against Slavery and Trafficking
- ECPAT International
→→→→I’ve included links so that you can get involved in their missions as well!←←←←
What Even Are Essential Oils?
Essential Oils are fragrances derived from plants – leaves, bark, stems, flowers, seeds, etc. They work by having very small molecules that can be absorbed through your skin or through scent.
Typically, EO comes in a small glass bottles that contain about 15 mL of oils. However, they can also come in bigger bottle that can be found in health stores or online and smaller bottles, such as roller bottles.
What Can EO Be Used For??
To make this easier for you to understand, I’ve broken down each oil and what they’re typically used for. Let’s start with some of the most common.
Originating in France, Lavender oil is used for:
- Calming (It’s great for stress relief)
- Promoting healthy skin
- Relieving sore muscles
- Boosting Immunity
With a storage life of up to 4 years, you should be sure to add this EO to your list. I personally love putting it in my diffuser to help calm me down and get ready for bed. It’s perfect for bath bombs or baths in general, just make sure you dilute it with a carrier oil before hand – we’ll talk more about carrier oils in a few moments.
With Simply Earth you can get it in a 15 mL bottle, a 10 mL roll-on, or in a set – we’ll talk more about sets later.
A Special Recipe of my Own
I’m going to be real for a second – my nails look horrid. I’ve always had a problem biting my nails. For the past week or so, I’ve been extra mindful to not bite them because it’s been extremely painful. So I decided to look into what essential oils would be good for helping my nails/cuticles moisturize and grow. I found two – Lavender Oil and Lemon Oil. I decided to create a simple recipe to coat my nails with.
- 2 tsp. Coconut Oil
- 5 drops Lavender Oil
- 5 drops Lemon Oil
I coated my nails and scrubbed them with a nail brush. Then, I patted them dry and put another coat on and patted off the excess. I am going to be doing this nightly and recording my results.
When people think peppermint, it usually has something to do with chewing gum or toothpaste. No one ever really thinks of a plant. Peppermint Oil is another EO that I use frequently.
Peppermint originates in India and has a shelf like of up to 4 years. It can be used for:
- Relieving head tension
- Increasing focus and energy
- Aiding in digestion
It is recommended that you have a maximum dilution of 5% for tropical application.
A Recipe of My Own
Remember earlier when I said I haven’t taken medicine in about a year?? That’s be I use Peppermint Oil to divert my headaches.
I use about:
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil with
- 3-5 drops of Peppermint Oil
I apply to my temples in a circular motion and my headache is gone almost instantaneously.
Originating in Indonesia, chances are you’ve probably heard of a citronella scented lamp/candle to ward off mosquitos, but did you know it was an actual oil derived straight from a plant? Not only that, but it does more than just keep those pesky blood-suckers away, it also:
- is Calming
- Reduces negative emotions
- controls mosquitos, ants, and flies.
Two Great Recipes to Make with Citronella Oil
- Cleaning Spray
- 8 oz. Witch Hazel
- 36 Drops of Citronella Oil
- 40 drops of Peppermint Oil
- 22 Drops of Tea Tree Oil
2. Bug Spray
- 1 oz. Witch Hazel
- 5 Drops of Citronella Oil
- 5 Drops of Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
- 5 Drops of Lavender Oil
- 5 Drops of Peppermint Oil
- 5 Drops of Cedarwood Oil
With Simply Earth you can also buy synergy blends so that you don’t have to make certain recipes. The top 10 sellers are:
- Tranquility Essential Oil Blend – this blend is used for calming and relieving anxiety. You can add 5-7 drops to your diffuser OR add 2-3 drops to your diffuser necklace/jewelry. Buy it here.
- Defender (Immune Boost) Essential Oil Blend – use to boosts immunity and kill germs! Add 10 Drops of this Defender Blend with 5 Drops of Lemon Essential Oil to a spray bottle and fill the rest of the way with water! Spray on any surface to make it naturally clean. Buy it here.
- Happy Joy Essential Oil Blend – just like the name, this blend is used to brighten and uplift your mood. Combine 5 drops of this blend with 5 drops of Coriander Oil, 2 drops of Neroli Oil, 1 drop of Clove Bud Oil, and Jojoba Oil into a 10 mL Roll-On Bottle for a Happy Massage Oil. Buy the blend here.
- Sleepy Essential Oil Blend – diffuse in your bedroom about 30 minutes prior to bedtime to help calm you and get you ready for a good night of sleep! You can also mix this blend with your favorite carrier oil and massage into your feet. (Just make sure you cover your feet with socks to protect your bed sheets.) Buy it here.
- Peace & Quite Essential Oil Blend – another calming blend, but not as much to make you sleepy! This blend helps you relax during the day. Buy it here.
- Breathe Easy Essential Oil Blend – this blend is great when you have blocked sinuses. Use in your diffuser, make a chest rub, or do a steam inhalation! Buy it here.
- Citrus Burst Essential Oil Blend – Eliminate odors, boost your mood, and clean naturally with this Citrus Boost Blend. Make an energizing room spray with 12 drops of the blend and 5 drops of Rosemary Oil in a spray bottle and fill the rest of the way with Distilled Water. Buy the blend here.
- Focus Essential Oil Blend – this is one of my favorite blends, especially while trying to do college work. Focus increases your alertness and concentration, put 5-7 into your diffuser while you’re working! But it here.
- Energy Essential Oil Blend –Another one of my favorites, I typically combine this with the Focus Blend in my diffuser. This blend helps increase our energy and can be bought here.
- Relief (Ache Relief) Essential Oil Blend – The Ache Relief eases occasional discomfort! Mix 7 drops with 2 oz of Aloe Vera Gel and Apply to area of discomfort. Buy the blend here.
Carrier Oils You Can Use
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Camellia Seed Oil
- Meadowfoam Oil
- Avocado Oil
Get $10 to use on any Essential Oil purchase (first time only) through the link above!!
Simply Earth Subscription Box
Simply Earth offers subscription box to help you create a more natural home for yourself and your family!
- Monthly – $39/month
- Quarterly – $45/ every three months.
If you sign up for a box now, you’ll receive a $40 Simply Earth gift card after your transaction goes through!
Thank you for reading! I’d be happy to answer any further EO related questions. Comment below or contact me via the contact page!